Equal is Unfair
St. Martin’s Press, 2016
Hardcover, 258 pages
Is Income Inequality Destroying the American Dream?
Every day we hear from our political leaders and the media that the American Dream is vanishing, and that the cause is rising income inequality. The rich are getting richer by rigging the system in their favor, leaving the rest of us to struggle just to keep our heads above water. To save the American Dream, we’re told that we need to fight inequality through tax hikes, wealth redistribution schemes, and a far higher minimum wage.
But what if that narrative is wrong? What if the real threat to the American Dream isn’t rising income inequality — but an egalitarian war on success?
In this challenging and timely work, best-selling authors Don Watkins and Yaron Brook reveal that almost everything we’ve been taught about inequality is wrong. You’ll discover:
- Why successful CEOs make so much money — and why they should
- How the minimum wage hurts the very people it claims to help
- Why claims of middle-class stagnation are a myth
- The fatal flaw in Thomas Piketty’s celebrated prediction of ever-rising inequality
- How the little-known history of Sweden reveals the dangers of forced equality